What is the PhD about?
1. The Doctoral Student (DS) demonstrating competency and
understanding of geography
2. The DS further developing and demonstrating expertise in areas
directly related to your dissertation topic
a. Take additional coursework
b. Carry out independent readings
3. The DS independently developing a proposal to carry out unique
and meaningful research
a. Addresses unique goals and objectives
b. Answers new questions and/or addresses unique issues
c. Proves/disproves hypotheses
d. Results in new research methods needed to address a. to c.
4. The DS carrying out the research outlined in the proposal
5. The DS presenting the results of the research in written format
6. The DS defending the research before a panel of peers